Monday Highs and Hygge

Happy Monday, all. I've found that I am often in a better mood on Mondays than I am on Fridays and Saturdays, which I admit, is a strange and unanticipated development. I think it's because I plan to do a bunch of things on Monday morning that I ultimately do not and cannot finish (realistically) by Friday afternoon. I need to break this habit which is, at first, inspiring, but ultimately is disappointing. I need to be reminded of the many things that I am thankful for on a daily basis, things which I do not control or necessarily deserve based on my actions throughout the day, the week, the month. Here's a list of 10 things I am particularly thankful for, yet have done nothing to receive:

1. The beautiful NOLA weather (windy, sunny, temperate)
2. The apparent generosity of my parents as I prepare to head home for the Easter holiday
3. The guidance of my many mentors in teaching and in youth ministry
4. The way that little children often look at me and smile in grocery stores
5. That I never really want for food or water
6. The dear friendships that I've been privileged to cultivate in the last year
7. Music summer music summer music summer music
8. That I am able bodied and can enjoy the use of myself walking, running, dancing, etc.
9. That my actions, in the grand scheme of things, are only part of a much larger collective movement
10. That every day starts anew!

If y'all haven't noticed, I LOVE LISTS. But even if you aren't a fan of lists, I encourage you to make a list of things you're grateful for every once in a while. Draw pictures or write stuff down, old-fashioned-like. It's extremely centering.

List-making is one of the ways I practice the Danish art of Hygge (pronounced "hoo-gah"). Hygge is loosely defined to mean the feelings of, or a things or circumstances which create the feelings of, contentment, comfort, and even nostalgia. For example, sitting with a good book by the fire or on the beach might be hygge for you, based on your preferences. Smells, songs, voices, etc. can take you to this magical, cozy place. For me, there's hygge in a list because it's complete, it's detailed without being overbearing, and it's related or organized. Be it that the point of this blog and my YAV experience as a whole is to break out of my comfort zone, I feel that less lists would be more appropriate. That being said, I promise this is the last list y'all will receive for at least another week.

Bucket List update! I went the the Babycakes opening game last Thursday. They lost; but I caught a fly ball!! I also went to Bakery Bar with my beloved friend and sister Danielle. We ate cake balls and drank tea. There's still so much to explore! I'll add 11. Go to NOLA Roller Derby game/competition/show on April 22nd to the list!

Peace and Grace,
Caitlin



Comments

  1. Hi Caitlin! My name is Emma and I'll be one of the YAVs serving in the Philippines next year. I love your passion for black coffee, hygge, & your mention of reading a good book by the fire! Enjoy your Easter and know that I greatly look forward to to serving alongside one another in the coming year :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Emma! I am excited to meet you! I had a wonderful Easter and will be writing about my break on my post this evening. I cannot wait to meet you at training and embark on this journey together! :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts